- WRITE for an authentic audience.
- CREATE something so interesting that someone (other than just their parents) will purchase it.
- THINK creatively and be persistent in solving ambiguous problems.
- COLLABORATE with their classmates so the collective talents of the class allows the creation of something that no one student, no matter how talented, could create on their own.
- OWN the process and outcome.
- BENEFIT others by contributing all proceeds to charity.
If only parents and grandparents purchase the books then at the very least students will get a sense of accomplishment for publishing their own book, the book will last years longer than typical school work, and a charity will get a few extra bucks from the mental perspiration of teenagers.
Here is the slideshow that was used at the Student Showcase.