Tuesday, June 30, 2009

"Rules of Thumb" for Educators

I recently read Rules of Thumb: 52 Truths for Winning at Business without Losing Your Self, by Alan Webber, the co-founder of Fast Company magazine. This book has received rave reviews from the likes of Daniel Pink, Chris Brogan, and Tom Peters, but more importantly for me, it is written with short chapters and in a jargon free way that made it an easy summer read (hey, I'm not a speed reader). Interestingly, while browsing through the 52 rules of thumb I found myself thinking how many of these rules apply to the world of education. As I thought about the rules I determined there were 3 categories that the rules fall into for educators. There were rules about Educational change and innovation, best practices for the classroom, and practical advice for students (and the rest of us).

So, instead of writing one long blog post I have decided to write 3 smaller posts focusing on how the rules relate to educational innovation, best practice, and advice for students.

"Rules of Thumb" for Educational Innovation
"Rules of Thumb" for Civic Education
"Rules of Thumb" for Student Success

No comments: